By: Ms Apeksha Ekbote, Msc, RD, Chief Dietitian, NephroPlus
A Hyderabadi dish made with Lentils and Bottle Gourd ideally eaten with plain rice or pulav
Portions – 4
Serving Size – 1/2
- Tuvar/Red gram dal – 60gm
- Bottle Gourd/Kaddu – 100 gm cut into long pieces
- Slit green chilli -2
- Curry Leaves – 4-5
- Tomato – 1 medium finely chopped
- Onion – 1 small roughly chopped
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1tsp
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Shahjeera -1/4 tsp
- Bayleaf -1
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder -1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coriander powder -1/4 tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 5 ml
- Salt-1/4tsp or as per dietician’s advice
- Water to pressure cook the dal
- Pressure cook the dal with water for 4-5 whistles. As Bottle Gourd is low in Potassium, you can steam the vegetable and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with curry leaves, shahjeera, bay leaf and cinnamon After it stops crackling, add the onion and sauté till light brown in colour.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chili powder.
- Add the chopped tomato and continue to saute till they are mashed. Add the boiled dal, bottle gourd, salt as advised and tamarind pulp.
- Simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add little water if required for the desired consistency to have it with rice. The dal is usually not watery but a semi gravy consistency
NUTRITIVE VALUE FOR RECOMMENDED SERVING
Note: - To further lower the potassium levels, one can leach the red gram/tuvar dal after boiling it.