Coconut Rice is a traditional rice preparation of south India. It is a simple recipe made during festivals like Pongal and Navratri.
Portions: 4 Bowls
Serving size: 1 Bowl
- Coconut , fresh grated 1 cup
- Cooked white rice 4 bowls
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Groundnuts 2 tbsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Channa dal 1 tsp
- Black pepper
- Grounded 10 corns
- Ginger chopped ½ tsp
- Green chilies, chopped 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Hing ¼ tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Salt ¼ tsp (as suggested by dietician)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, Channa dal and Ground nuts and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add Chopped Green chilies, Chopped Ginger, Hing, Curry leaves and Grounded Pepper powder. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add fresh grated Coconut, mix it well for ½ minute.
- Switch off the flame
- Add cooked rice, salt and mix it well.
- Serve hot
Nutritive value as per one serving:
Note: An average whole coconut kernel is between 200-215 g. And 1 cup grated coconut is approx. 80 g. The potassium content of fresh coconut per 1 cup is 196 mg and 591 mg for dry coconut.
-To keep a check on potassium levels, avoid any dal/pulse preparation on the day you want to enjoy coconut rice.